Wednesday, November 7, 2007

DevLearn conference

This is my first attempt at blogging. I decided to give this a try after the DevLearn conference. I really want to know more aobut blogs and wikis and the tools needed to support and maintain a good blog site. To that end I am asking the following:

I am looking for comments on some of the most valuable things you learned about blogs and wikis. I attended so many sessions on this topic and feel I was awash with new information and ideas and am afarid I missed so many things.

One of the ideas I came awas with was setting up a blog or wiki to facilitate communication within our design group. Suggestions or ideas from individuals doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Your comments will help me on my journey through blogging and wiki's.

2 comments:

Joe Deegan said...

Hi Dixie,
I am also looking into starting a Wiki after attending the eLearning 2.0 presentation at DevLearn. I work for a mid sized retail company and I have more ideas of how to use a Wiki then I have time to implement. Here's what we plan on using it for. Not sure what your organization is like but maybe this will help:
1. Policies and Procedures - It is hard to keep policy and procedure manuals updated overtime. With a Wiki, anybody can update it quickly so it is always up to date and you don't have the costs of publishing revised manuals.
2. Software Help - We have a home grown point of sale/inventory software system that is constantly going through upgrades and enhancements. It is very difficult to keep help manuals updated with all of these changes but with a Wiki anybody such as our tech helpdesk can keep it update with changes and any tips.
3. Sales Techniques - We have a large sales staff and a Wiki is a great format to share sales techniques.

I plan on posting about my project to my blog. Let me know if you come across any ideas or better yet examples of how other organizations are using them. Thanks

bschlenker said...

Hi Dixie!
Welcome to the blogosphere. Blogs and wikis are a great way to move into 21st century learning. Tony nails his presentation and its fun to see so many taking his points back to the office and getting started.
Google Nathan Wallace or e-gineer.com for a great blog post on how a wiki changed his company intranet significantly.
Blogging is great reflective learning and simply become a habit for lifelong learning. Using blogs to express your thoughts and ideas inside corporate firewalls is a great way to break down the command and control structure and actually getting work done...believe it or not. But be prepared for backlash from the un-enlightened corporate gatekeepers.
Good luck in your efforts. I look forward to reading all about it in your blog and learning from your experiences.
Cheers!
Brent
elearndev.blogspot.com